Re: Emissions from Televisions -Reply

Chris Hawkins wrote:

>I think one of the original articles on TV's was by Braestrup & Mooney in
>'Science' back in the late 50's or early 60's.

Braestrup and Mooney (1959) "X-ray emission from television sets"
Science 130 page 1071

According to NCRP 95,  the ICRP guideline established in 1955 was  2
mR/hr on any accessible surface. After, and largely as a result of, the
Braestrup and Mooney paper, the ICRP and NCRP recommendations
were reduced to 0.5 mR/hr at 5 cm from any accessible surface.

>I worked for Dick Mooney in the 70's and remember seeing some of the
>ion chambers that they designed for the measurements.

Mooney donated those chambers (as well as a few others) to the
historical collection here at ORISE.  Again, I invite anyone with an interest
 to drop by to see it. We are just starting a mini virtual museum on the
web and with luck the Mooney and Braestrups chambers will be on
there sometime in the future.

Paul Frame
Professional Training Programs
ORISE