Re: Ni-63

Ni-63 is also produced by fast neutron activation of Cu-63 and ZN-66. This long lived isotope (t1/2 100y) can be of great concern when determining waste classifications as directed by 10 CFR 61. The biggest problem in detecting this isotope is that it is a pure beta emitting isotope that has a .067 MeV end point. The amount of Ni-63 as well as Ni-59 (another long lived isotope of concern for waste classification purposes) can be determined by scaling the concentration of other activation products (Co-60) to those suspected within the waste stream. Codes such as ORIGEN-2 may be used to perform such a task. In concrete, I believe Eu-152 and Ca-41 are the long lived (t1/2 >5y) that you should be looking for.

At 11:31 PM 1/8/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Looking for information on activation product Ni-63 in concrete and steel.
>Stainless steel has plenty of Ni-62 to be activated, but does anyone have
>information on nickel in carbon steel and/or concrete? Thanks in advance.
>
>=-=-=Joel Cehn, jcehn@worldnet.att.net

Eric Daggett
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Office of Radiation Protection