FW: Dosimeters

Radsafers:

Yesterday I asked for some information on dosimeters.  I guess I didn't
give quite enough information...

>> - will you be monitoring only photons?
Essentially yes.  The workers wearing the dosimeters will be handling
Ra-226 (plus progeny), natural U and natural Th, so essentially all of
the external dose is due to photons.

>> - any need to monitor beta or neutron?
No.

>> - what is the energy range for the photons?
The energy range is approximately 0.1 to 2.5 MeV.

The dosimeters will be worn indoors and out, and in temperatures from as
low as -30C to +30C.  As I mentioned before, I need to measure
incremental doses down to 10 uSv (or lower) over a period of one day to
several weeks.  I don't think that standard TLDs are quite this
sensitive.  I'd also much prefer direct reading in order to avoid the
expense and inconvenience of a reader.  It is often the case that work
is being done at remote sites, so a single reader would not be
convenient if more than one job is going on at once.

>>If you need to monitor only photons and don't want TLDs because of the
>>reader, take a look at electronic dosimeters. Some use GM tubes, but most
>>use silicon diodes as detectors, with internal software that contains a
>>dose conversion factor to convert from counts to dose. Some of these may
>>get down to the level you want to measure.

Our office owns a few KATA DGM-1500 dosimeters which make use of GM
tubes.

>>Beware of energy dependence on silicon diode detectors if you have low
>>energy photons - response can go to essentially zero at lower energies.

Can anyone tell me a little more about the energy dependence of silicon
diode detectors?

>>There may be some cadmium telluride electronic dosimeters around, but my
>>experience with these (early 1980's) found a bad temperature dependence
>>problem. When the dosimeter's temperature dropped below a certain temp
>>(about 50 degree F for the unit I tested), the unit under-responded badly.
>>If used indoors where such low temps aren't a problem, CdTe units work
>>really well.

It sounds like this won't meet my requirements for -30C to +30C
temperatures.