Re: FW: Dosimeters

It sounds as if survey instrument fo some type is your answer, other
than a "true" dosimeter. It is apparent that you are looking for
some extremely low dose measurements, since you state that a TLD
isn't sensitive enough. I don't necessarily agree with that
statement, unless you are in fact, attempting to measure very low
dose over a 1 day period. I guess the question that begs to be asked
is, for what purpose are these measurements being made? There is
obviously NO risk to the individuals being monitored, and, for all
practical purposes, what is being measured isn't that much above
natural background.  Why all the effort to measure a incremental
"above background" exposure. It is also my opinion that due to these
extremely low doses, that you will NOT obtain the precision you are
looking for. The best solution, wear a good TLD over a couple of
weeks (month) and determine the dose rate for specific areas, and,
use a secondary instrument to measure dose rate.

Be careful of electronic dosimeters. If you do use them, you better
understand the associated problems that they exhibit in certain
environements, dose rates as well as energy spectra.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division