Re: Montel

     here is a thought on correspondence with the Montel Williams show:
     the damage done by this kind of misinformation spreads out in wider
     and wider circles.  Last week's WIPP hearings were an excellent
     illustration:  there was quite a bit of agonizing about effluents from
     DOE sites causing childhood leukemia.  "Brookhaven" becomes translated
     to Los Alamos, Mound, Livermore, Rocky Flats, Sandia -- any DOE site
     that the speaker lives near or knows about.  I feel reasonably certain
     that the misinformation from this show will be cited in hearing after
     hearing on nuclear matters, relevant or not.  The result may well be
     huge Federal expenditures to mitigate nonexistent risks, and very bad
     federal and local policy.  Is the show really ready to be responsible
     for this sort of thing?

     Anything like this on TV seems real to people who know very little
     about the subject (remember the GM truck fuel tank fires?).  How does
     any of us know that the TV programs on art, natural science, foreign
     countries, etc, are telling the truth?  We don't.

     Ruth

     Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
     Transportation Systems Department
     Sandia National Laboratories