Drill Scenario

Steven, thanks for correcting this.  It points out the need for us to be
very careful about what we state as facts.  I know of several incidents
that have occurred involving spent fuel/control rod or other incore object
"near misses" in which they actually or nearly broke the surface of the
pool.  As has been pointed out, there's no way a fuel rod could kill
someone 10 miles away or for that matter "everyone in the plant".  More
than likely, it wouldn't kill anyone, if the situation were recognized and
dealt with quickly.  It's ridiculous, but too many people take these kinds
of statements as plausible as well.  Seems like all you have to do is say
something and it's true.

>Subject: Re[3]: Drill Scenario
>
>     The two techs involved in this incident, which did happen, were NOT
>     killed!!! Apparently, this incident has "grown" over the years. Two
>     techs were next to the transfer tube during a transfer (why they were
>     there isn't important in this discussion; suffice it to say it was a
>     big "oops"). The two techs received doses of about 27 rem and 17 rem.
>     This is well documented. I haven't seen or heard of any followup
>     studies of these people, (nor would I advocate any) but they
>     definitely were not killed!
>
>     I used to use this as an example of what not to do during HP Tech
>     training classes, and I had the NRC's information of what happened. I
>     probably don't still have the information, but a search of the NRC's
>     information would probably yield it.  The actual incident ocurred in
>     the early or mid 70's.
>
>     Steven D. Rima, CHP
>     Manager, Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene
>     MACTEC-ERS, LLC
>     steven.rima@doegjpo.com

Keith Welch
Newport News VA