Re: Drill Scenario

Bob,
 You forgot your return address...
Something similar happened in the 94 Monticello refuel outage. Had to do with
shift turnover, some interlocks on the refuel bridge being overridden,
(neccesary for Control rods to clear the transfer canal) but, again, RP tech
and rad alarm saved the day. They were moving control rods, I think. I cant
remember all the particulars, but it came within a foot or so of breaking the
water. Big deal at the time.

Charles Migliore
Chasmig@aol.com

Actually, the senario isn't really that that farfetched.  I can
remember a situation where an overhead crane operator
was homing the crane at the end of the day.  They had
used the overhead crane in the spent fuel pool due to some
problems with the refueling crane.  When lifting the hook, a
dangling cable snagged a poison rod and starting lifting it
towards the surface.  Had an RP tech not been nearby at
the control point and heard the frisker alarm and stop the
movement of the crane, it most likely would have broken
surface.

Bob