Re: International RAM Shipping

     Recommendations for International RAM Shipping:

        1. Use a carrier that will deliver the package to the
     destination country and not switch carriers in transit.  I have
     found this to be the most frequent source of delays.
        2. Use the latest version of the IATA regulations and use the
     check-off list in the back of the book to review your shipment.
     Be critical, the carrier personnel who also use this check-off
     list are probably not as knowledgeable as you and are looking at
     each item verbatim.
        3. Follow all the applicable operator and state variations.
        4. Develop a good working relationship with your carrier.
     Send them the paperwork early for their review and be responsive
     to their questions.
        5. FAX a copy of the paperwork to the recipient so that they
     can answer questions at their end.

     In many ways, international RAM shipping is easier than domestic.

     Dave Pratt
     Senior Health Physicist
     Radiation Center
     Oregon State University