Re: STAR (was Montel)

January 14, 1998
Davis, CA

Dear RadSafers:

I like Keith's idea about joining STAR and attending their meetings. You
health physicists on Long Islanf should consider attending thei meetings.
Right now their Vice-President is Helen Caldicott, and she is their main
source of information about radiation risks. If you have a chance, remember
to remind the group (with a friendly smile) that Helen represents the
industry responsible for almost all the extra exposure to ionizing
radiation above natural background levels received by people on Long Island
and in the U.S., namely MEDICINE. Show them the pie chart from page 19 of
BEIR V. Tell them that you believe that there is no known risk from these
exposures (39 mrem per year average from diagnostic X rays), and certainly
there is no risk from the very much smaller exposures associated with the
nuclear industry.

P.S. The sponsors listed in Keith's message are for the Montel Williams TV
show, not for STAR.

Otto

**************

At 05:28 PM 1/14/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Suppose a couple thousand radsafe subscribers joined STAR (Standing for
>Truth About Radiation), the NY-based group that the folks on Montel were
>singing about.  Since WE are always ranting about TRUTH, here's the perfect
>organization - a bunch of nice folks interested in the same thing!!
>
>I will if you will.  How bout it, any takers out there?
>

>STAR: Standing for Truth About Radiation, P.O. Box 4206, East Hampton, NY
>11937, phone 516-324-0655.
>
>Primary Sponsors: KRAFT Foods, Pillsbury, Jello.
>

>Keith Welch
>Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility
>Newport News VA
>welch@cebaf.gov
>Ph: (757)269-7212
>FAX:(757)269-5048

		Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
                [President, Health Physics Society, 1997-1998]
		Institute of Toxicology & Environmental Health (ITEH)
		     (Street address: Old Davis Road)
		University of California, Davis, CA 95616
		Phone: 530-752-7754  FAX: 530-758-6140 [NEW AREA CODE]
		E-mail ograabe@ucdavis.edu