SAREC Bookstore major upgrade

The number of titles added to the SAREC Bookstore and bibliographic
database has increased far more rapidly than expected.  As a result, we
have reorganized the site under many more subject headings to facilitate
browsing.  "New Publications" (i.e. not yet published) now appear
simultaneously under both the NEW PUB header and under the relevant SUJECT
header.  To avoid having to browse through long lists of titles that you've
already seen to find new listings, the NEW LISTINGS page now includes a
button to register and receive automatic Email notification when new titles
are added to the Bookstore.  These titles will appear simultaneously on the
NEW LISTINGS page (for approximately 1 week) and under the relevant SUBJECT
header.  I apologize for not having instituted this system from the
beginning but we really did not expect that the database would grow as
quickly as it has or that it would be so extensive.

Table of Contents ( http://www.sarec.ca/books ) :
NEW LISTINGS
NEW PUBLICATIONS
CURRENT TITLES:
	Bloodborne Pathogens
	Epidemiology
	Ergonomics
	Expert Witness and Litigation Support
	Exposure Assessment and Monitoring
	Fire and Combustion
	Fire Protection and Firefighting
	Industrial Hygiene & Occupational Health
	Laboratory
	Medicine
	Noise Control and Hearing LossPesticides
	Quality Control ¦ ISORisk Assessment & Communication
	Safety
	Sampling
	Standards ¦ ANSI ¦ NFPA ¦ OSHA
	Statistics ¦ Biostatistics
	Toxicology
	Ventilation and Indoor Air Quality

We're working on adding many more titles under the following subject
headings (some books currently appearing under "Occupational Health &
Industrial Hygiene" will end up here):

	Chemical Hazards and Chemistry
	Electromagnetic Fields
	Environment
	Heat and Thermal Stress
	Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
	Physical Agents
	Radiation Protection

The question has been asked as to what it is that we are trying to do.
Initially, I was considering simply creating a link to Amazon.com as part
of the other resources that we have.  Upon looking more closely at their
site I realized that, due to the particular multi-discipline nature of our
profession, it was not a simple matter to browse around at amazon.com.
Accordingly, we have compiled a fairly comprehensive list of books
available in the field generally. The organization of the site goes far
beyond what is available at Amazon.com.  Like any other bookstore, they are
simply our supplier with the very important difference that there is no
mark-up on the price.  We offer this service because these books are not
easily available in most localities and because few libraries offer such a
wide selection and because we believe in sharing information as much as
possible.  There is, of course, the option to purchase books on-line.  Most
people, however, will probably use the list to keep abreast of current and
upcoming publications and then to borrow these books through their
libraries. Either way, we're certainly not making any money on this
endeavor nor was that ever the intention.  The last time I looked we
receive referral fees (5%-15% on the purchase price) on fewer than 10% of
the books which we've included on our site.  It would be nice if we could
recover the costs associated with creating the Bookstore site and keeping
it running but we've decided to continue to offer what we believe will
become a valuable (and free) bibliographic resource.

--------
CC Austin, BSc, MEd, PhD
Industrial Hygienist and Chemist
caustin@sarec.ca