RE: Radioactivity on Rails -Reply

The British filmed a wonderful (from a propaganda standpoint) video of
testing a fuel cask for rail shipment entitled "Operation Smash Hit".
The video runs about 9 minutes and shows the construction and testing of
fuel casks as well as drop tests performed on the finished product.

The finale shows the placement a pressurized cask on a section of track
and running a locomotive with three passenger cars into it at 100 miles
per hour. In one version I have seen, the spokesperson, in a typically
dry British manner, concludes "The public said 'Well, that's fine for
you science johnnies, but we want you to prove it." Now we have."

It is available in PAL format from Nuclear Electric Film & Video. It was
copyrighted in 1990. A good video lab can translate PAL into NTSC
standards acceptable by U.S. VCRs.

Rick Edwards, Analyst
The Boeing Company
richard.w.edwards@boeing.com