Re: RADSAFE digest 1696

<< From: rick.jacobi@tllrwda.state.tx.us (rick jacobi)
 To: Radsafe <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
 Subject: Iinfo on Nuclear Technology >>
-----

There is, unfortunately, not much in the general bookstore on nuclear power
which is not a polemic exercise, and suitable for high school educational
purposes -- certainly there is little in recent years that falls in that
category.  Even years ago (when I was more actively engaged) such material
came largely from AEC/ERDA/DOE and from nuclear industry sources (AIF/CEA).
However, the Carter administration essentially burned the public information
booklets AEC had available on nuclear issues, and the industry seems to focus
more on advertising than on education... And non-polemic books on the subject
are indeed rare.

In looking at my rag-tag collection of memories and literature, I've come
across what I think is an excellent text for this purpose -- although it
is/was a DOE publication.  It is "The Harnessed Atom" (DOE/NE-0072), intended
as "a comprehensive middle school teachers' kit", and was available from the
Superintendent of Documents.  Although it is at least 10 years old, not that
much has changed in the nuclear power business over that period, and the
issues and materials covered are still appropriate -- whether the document is
still available is another question.

There is also the 1982 DOE booklet on "Nuclear Power from Fission Reactors -
An Introduction" (DOE/NE-0029), which was reprinted by AIF.    IAEA and ANS
may have some such material -- but not textbook material as far as I know.

Good luck

Mort Goldman
(retired warhorse)