Subject: Re: Iinfo on Nuclear Technology
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at FE-INTERNET
Date:    1/20/98 7:58 AM

At 04:56 PM 1/17/98 -0600, you wrote:
>A local science teacher and the school librarian asked me to recommend some
books on nuclear technology for the school library.  I searched Bookstop,
Bookpeople, Walden Books, Borders Books and Barnes and Noble (all large,
reputable bookstores) and found nothing on the topic that was suitable for
high school students.  There was an abundance of books on quantum mechanics,
high energy particle physics, nuclear weapons, the perils of nuclear power
and radioactive waste, Caldicott, Sternglass, etc., but nothing that a lay
person could read for a general balanced overview.
>Have I overlooked something?  Is there something out there that is suitable
for high school level students?

Dear Rick Jacobi

        Considering that you are interested in text for teachers and high
school students, I would like to recommend basic text, simple written, but
containing the necessary  up to date information on Safety and Radiation
Protection, and the procedures about the uses of radioactive material in
industry, engineering and medicine. They are part of a Practical Radiation
Safety Manual:

1 - Manual on Gamma Radiography
2 - Manual on Nuclear Gauges
3 - Manual on Shielded Enclosures
4 - Manual on Self-Contained Gamma Irradiators (categories I and III)
5 - Manual on Self-Contained Gamma Irradiators (categories II and IV)
6 - Manual on High Energy Teletherapy
7 - Manual on Brachytherapy
8 - Manual on Therapeutic Uses of Iodine-131

 I recommend also to use the following IAEA site:

HTTP://www.iaea.or.at/worldatom/inforesource/factsheets/index.html";

For the IAEA Fact Sheet Series, covering useful information for nuclear
energy in everyday life.

Please contact the IAEA Division of Public information <official.mail@iaea.or>

to obtain free of charge copies and  Permission to reproduce the documents

I do believe these texts are more appropriate to general high school students,

and for many radsafers interested in these subjects.

J. J. Rozental <josrozen@netvision.net.il>
Israel