US NRC Press Release re Thyroid Protection/Emergencies -Reply

At the risk of being synical, this seems like another case of someone with good
intentions missing the point.  10 CFR 50.47 requires a range of protective actions for
the plume exposure pathway(EPZ) for emergency workers and the public.  A license
is issued when such plans have been approved.  Such actions have already been
developed and are in place and none of us are expecting a rash of new licenses in the
next 10-20 years.   The protection of the public falls under the state and local agencies
and these actions may and, if memory serves me, includes the issuance potassium
iodide.   The NRC does not need our licensee to require potassium iodide to be issued
under the state and local emergency plans.  FEMA reviews and approves Emergency
Plans for the state and local agencies and routinely holds drills and exercises to test
the emergency plans.   This petition seems like a waste a time and resources and
should be responded to in such a manner.  Additionally, since many people are
allergic to iodine,  not all people can take the pills and the state or local may be liable
for illness caused by the pills.

Again these are the thoughts of the author and not the agency who employs the
author.  KMP@NRC.GOV, 510/975-0255