US NRC Press Release re Thyroid Protection/Emergencies -Reply-Reply

Kenneth --

You're right on the money ... I'm not sure exactly what the
petitioner is trying to accomplish, but the effect of the
petition, if granted, would be that states would have to at
least "consider" the use of KI as a protective measure for the
general public, alongside evacuation and sheltering. It is
anticipated that this "consideration" would be done in a rather
public forum, such as public meetings or public hearings, as
several states (New York, Maine, etc.) have already done.

I have, on behalf of the Georgia Department of Natural
Resources (DNR) and the Conference of Radiation Control
Program Directors (CRCPD) Committee on Emergency
Response Planning (E-6), previously provided comments to
NRC on this matter. Bottom line -- we feel, as do many other
states, that the protective measures identified in our plans are
adequate for the protection of the public, and that the
logistical problems attendant to the distribution (perhaps even
PRE-distribution) of KI to the general public may in fact be
counter-productive ... hindering evacuation, for example.

Please note that I got a phone call from NRC yesterday which
indicated that the comment period has been extended until
February 17, 1998.

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
4244 International Parkway, Suite 114
Atlanta, GA 30354
(404) 362-2675  fax: (404) 362-2653
Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us

>>> Kenneth Prendergast <KMP@nrc.gov> 01/20/98 22:03

At the risk of being synical, this seems like another case of
someone with good intentions missing the point.  10 CFR
50.47 requires a range of protective actions for the plume
exposure pathway(EPZ) for emergency workers and the
public.  A license is issued when such plans have been
approved.  Such actions have already been developed and are
in place and none of us are expecting a rash of new licenses
in the next 10-20 years.   The protection of the public falls
under the state and local agencies and these actions may
and, if memory serves me, includes the issuance potassium
iodide.   The NRC does not need our licensee to require
potassium iodide to be issued under the state and local
emergency plans.  FEMA reviews and approves Emergency
Plans for the state and local agencies and routinely holds
drills and exercises to test the emergency plans.   This
petition seems like a waste a time and resources and
should be responded to in such a manner.  Additionally,
since many people are allergic to iodine,  not all people can
take the pills and the state or local may be liable for illness
caused by the pills.

Again these are the thoughts of the author and not the
agency who employs the author.

KMP@NRC.GOV, 510/975-0255