Re: Namibia's Rossing, union to study mine radiation

 Sandy Perle wrote:

> WINDHOEK, Jan 20 (Reuters) - Rio Tinto Plc's (quote from Yahoo! UK &
> Ireland: RTZ.L) Namibian unit Rossing Uranium Ltd and the Mine Workers
> Union of Namibia (MUN) said on Tuesday they would conduct an 18-month
> study into the effects of radiation exposure at the Rossing open cast
> uranium mine.

> ``Both are leaders in the field of radiation research and the use of
> their two independent laboratories will ensure the reliability of the
> research findings,'' the statement said.
> ------------------
> Sandy Perle
I worked as Health Physicist at Roessing Uranium from 1989 to 1991.  We
did extensive monitoring of radiation levels and radon levels in
the open pit, processing plant and at Arandis (labourers housing
complex a few km's away from the mine.)  The grade of ore is very low
at Roessing, only the size of the operation made it viable.  This
combined with the open nature and climatic condition resulted in
quite low levels, virtually background.

In my assessment the biggest health problems were:
1.  Personal hygiene (by far the greatest)
2.  Exposure to degreasing fluids (organic solvents)
3.  Dust (especially at the crushing operation)
4.  SO2 from the acid plant.
5.  The greatest potential risk is from a liquid ammonia storage
facility in the middle of the processing plant.

Roessing Uranium received the "Sword of Honour" from the British
Safety Council on a number of occasions and had "NOSCAR" grading
(highest possible) from the National Occupational Safety Association
of South Africa.  It is ironic that such a "clean" operation should
have to face such a ridiculous accusation.

Ado van Rensburg
Director: Medical Physics       Tel: int 27 12 354 2317
Pretoria Academic Hosp          Fax: int 27 12 329 1302
PBag X169                       E-mail: AVANRENS@MEDIC.UP.AC.ZA
PRETORIA,  South Africa
I don't like Medical Physics - I LOVE IT!