Re: public education

     I do hate to be cynical about that article, but I would like to call
     your attention to the "Epilogue: ... In June, 1997, the Midwest
     Compact Commission voted to halt the process of siting a low-level
     waste facility in Ohio...."  So what did all their well-intentioned
     public information accomplish?  Not much, it seems to me. Why?
     Because if the information had got through the barriers and the
     cisizens of Ohio had both been adequatelky informed and had acted on
     that information, the process WOULD have continued and a LLW facility
     WOULD have been sited.

     I am sure the information was sound and well reviewed, and I am
     reasonably sure it was well and adequately presented.  When oh when
     are we all going to learn that the political movers and shakers among
     the anti-nuclear folks -- those who really effectively deal with
     elected officials and the media -- are neither uninformed nor
     frightened nor unable to understand science nor overwhelmed by jargon
     nor any of these other excuses.  Their agenda is political power, they
     know when they have it, and they will not relinquish it in the face of
     any information, no matter how overwhelming!

     Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
     Transportation Systems Department
     Sandia National Laboratories
     Mail Stop 0718
     P. O. Box 5800
     Albuquerque, NM 87185-0718
     505-844-4791
     505-844-0244 (fax)
     rfweine@sandia.gov

     Very clearly my own opinion and one in which neither my employer nor
     any sponsor are implicated.