Re[2]: public education

     Andy:

Thanks for clarifying the relative roles of the Compact Commission and the
State. This was certainly not clear in the Nuke News article.  Moreover, I never
meant to imply that the information was either inadequate or biased in either
direction.  I get the impression it was really good and to the point.

This is my point precisely (and I am quite aware of both the positive and
negative aspects of a LLW site, being very familiar with the Hanford commercial
site for about 20 years).  An informed public -- one given and receiving
information that does not argue for a position -- would either overwhelmingly
oppose a LLW site for good reason (e.g., if there were no near-surface place in
Ohio that could reasonably support a LLW facility) or would be solidly in favor
such a facility, because absent any reason related to geology or geography,
location, there is no reason not to support such a facility. So why weren't the
citizens of Ohio in solid support?  How did the Ohio representative on the
Compact Commission vote?

You are quite right that getting enough information into enough hands is the way
to go.  However, it's what is done with that information that counts.

Thanks again for that clarification.  I do stand corrected.

Ruth

Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
Transportation Systems Department
Sandia National Laboratories
Mail Stop 0718
P. O. Box 5800
Albuquerque, NM 87185-0718
505-844-4791
505-844-0244 (fax)
rfweine@sandia.gov

Clearly only my own opnion and no one else's.