RE: Depleted Uranium vs. Tungsten -Reply

>ACGIH's 1997 TLVs and BEIs  guide lists the TLV-TWA for
>uranium as 0.2
>mg/m^3 and the TLV-TWA for tungsten as 5 mg/m^3 for soluble
>variants and
>1 mg/m^3 for insoluble variants. The TLV-STEL values for each
>show a similar ratio.

This is good info, BUT --  The question as phrased regarded
chemical toxicity.  What part of the risk in the TLV-TWA
calculation is due to the radiological component of uranium?
Other than the fact that I don't really think you can separate the
two risk components for U in the real world, it is an intersting
academic exercise.  It also begs the question of was this
TLV-TWA for natural or depleted U?

Zack Clayton
zack.clayton@epa.state.oh.us