re: uranium toxicity

As I understand it, the uranium TLV is based solely upon the chemical
toxicity to the kidneys.  In this regard, the TLV does not concern
itself with the radiotoxicity, and is independent of enrichment levels.
I noted Ron Kathren's reply which stated that that depleted or natural
uranium, the chemical toxicity is so controlling that radiotoxicity
effects can be ignored.  Though a true statement from an acute effects
perspective, it is wise to keep in mind that even depleted uranium can
cause exceedences of facility administrative control limits or ALARA
goals at concentrations less than chemical TLVs, especially if you are
dealing with the inhalation of insoluble (i.e., "Y" class) forms of
uranium.

G. John Hampshire, CHP, RRPT
kaitlyn1@concentric.net

(just my own thoughts...)