Re: Low Doses?

Hi Jim,

You stated the following regarding the use of the word "low dose".
You have reiterated the point I was trying to make, that of clear
communication when dealing with sensitive issues that the public is
not only interested in, but is fearful of.

> It seems that these perspectives reflect a rather narrow rad protection view
> of the world. ("To a small boy with a hammer, all the world is a nail :-)
> Low doses in irradiation means low relative to sterilization doses. (Remember,

When one addresses radiation issues, be it risk, dose, causal
relation or benefits, it is very important to maintain a proper and
consistent perspective. One can not minimize radiation tests on
members of the public, who participate knowingly, or unknowingly, be
it at MIT or any other facility, and conclude that there was no harm,
and, that there was "LOW DOSE". One can not address the leaks around
BNL, and minimize the those leaks stating that there was in fact "LOW
DOSE". The public has been given a scale to address radiation
exposure. They have now been informed of what "low dose" is, and when
it isn't, they will obviously conclude that this is NOT "low dose".

In the food irradiation communications, the point being made by those
supporters, was that food irradiation was safe, and that the foods
irradiated was safe. The public thought otherwise, not in total, but
in enough numbers. Before I go to far, let me say that I do support
food irradiation. The press briefings were to negate the crap being
spewed by the anti forces.  In so doing, the term "low dose" was
used. Now you state that this is in the context of the doses required
for sterilization. Come on Jim, you can't seriously believe that was
why they used this term. They used it solely for the purpose of
propaganda, and, to sway public opinion. There is not one mention of
sterilization, and, in all honesty, what difference does it make if
Krads are used and the doses are far below that needed to cause
sterilization? Absolutely nothing. IF that were the point they were
trying to make, then they should have stated it, clearly and
concisely. But we all know that this was not the case at all. The
term "low dose" was used to ensure the public there was safety, and,
for the public to use the term "low dose" in the context that they
have been accustomed to hearing, from the rest of us, when we discuss
radiation exposure, risks and causal effects.

When it comes down to it, when we discuss radiation, aren't we for
the most part, relating that radiation and it's effect om man? There
isn't much risk to a wall, or other inanimate object.

Communication isn't easy, but if it is to be used, don't downplay the
intelligence of the audience. I firmly believe that those articles
and briefings made on the support of food irradiation was calculated,
and well-planned. The use of the term "low dose" was intentional,
and, it had nothing to do with sterilization. It was used to mold the
public into thinking that the exposure used to irradiate was low,
and therefore should be of no concern. It was crafty, and as usual,
didn't circumvent the inquisitive mind, asking .. WHO are they trying
to kid?
------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director