Re: Low Doses?

Hi Sandy,

It seems that these perspectives reflect a rather narrow rad protection view
of the world. ("To a small boy with a hammer, all the world is a nail :-)

Low doses in irradiation means low relative to sterilization doses. (Remember,
non-food sterilization and current food irradiation for the astronauts,
tranplant patients, etc and the Army research on long life non-refrigerated
food used sterilization doses, turning meat grey - and rather unpalatable).
The approved limited doses 3 - 4.5 krad for non-frozen meat? to just
substantially reduce ecoli, salmonella, etc are 'low doses'. They're not
'lying', but not everyone wears rad protection and biological effects glasses.
 (Actually, it would seem that if they were being sensitive to 'public
acceptance' about 'low doses' as suggested, they would be unlikely to do it
the way you suggest :-)

Perhaps we need to have a little more perspective about the rest of the world
when using the term "_we_ should" and harm "our credibility". I doubt "they"
consider "us" part of their "we", (and likely don't care much what "we" think
about what they should say - much less "our credibility" in the disingenuous
efforts to clean dust off dirt in the desert, and kill Brookhaven, etc etc, in
the name of a few mrem for $100s Billions - what integrity? :-).

Consider also that the Rad Society of North America meeting has 50,000-60,000
attendees; the SNM 15,000 - (ANS and HPS 1500?) We should consider the
perspective on "low" vs "high" doses by people who use the tools for real
contributions to the human condition (despite rad protection constraints and
often debilitating wasteful costs :-)

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com