another apology

Let me apologize for the distress my previous message caused. I was
attempting,  inadequately, to reply in a light hearted manner to Franz
(whose post, I thought, was both informative and humorous).  The
comment at the end of his message that any flames were welcome was
too much to resist. While no flame was intended on my part, my
obviously inadequate attempt at humor clearly came off as one.

I had hoped that my comments (about electroscopes still being used at
Vienna for example) were too outlandish to be taken seriously.
Unfortunately,  my clumsiness clouded the picture. I certainly had no
intention to insult the work now going on in Vienna  or that which went
on in the past (the USA's oldest radioactivity standards in the US were
produced in Vienna) .

Again my apologies

Paul

I can state for a fact however that electroscopes were used here in Oak
Ridge into the 1970s.