Re: Children: rad exposure from Nuc Med patients -Reply

Psychological factors have been considered to be valid in
litigation. The fact that an agent could not have caused a physical
problem is mitigated by the contention that the individual THOUGHT
that the agent could have. While this may not seem logical, it has
held up in some court jurisdictions.

The point below is well-taken. Some have taken ALARA to its extremes,
and in so doing, has made a mockery of radiationm protection in
general. If the experts take these extraordinary steps to limit
radiation exposure, we can all kiss the move to overturn LNT goodbye.
If we can't convince ourselves of what is truly risk, we will never
be able to convince the workers who are around us, or, the general
public. Time for reason to prevail.

> Dear Radsafe
> When applying the ALARA principle and the risk ( either positive
> or negative ) associated with very low doses of radiation (a 1
> millrem dose recieved by a child visiting a mother) should the risks
> associated by stress experienced by the child, who does not see the
> parent, be factored into the equation).

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director