Re: Uranyl Acetate

Steve Deitch wrote:

> Your question points out one of the anomalies in the legal nomenclature
> used.  As the responses I have read so far show, Uranyl acetate is a
> hazardous material ... it's LD50 etc.  But your question had to do with
> regulation.

> ....snip.....

> So after this long winded remark, Uranyl acetate is hazardous because of
> it's radioactive nature, and must be disposed of in accordance with the rad
> regs, but it is not "hazardous waste" under the chemical waste regs (RCRA).

Dear Radsafers,

Disposal in accordance with the "rad regs" deserves some further
discussion.

Uranyl acetate is often found in research labs in 20-200 gram
quantities.

NRC regulation 10 CFR 40.22 gives a general license for less than 15
pounds of Uranium. It also exempts said general licensee from 10 CFR 19,
20, and 21. Therefore, said general licensee is exempt from the disposal
regs in 10 CFR 20. Therefore, said licensee is free to dispose of this
radioactive material without any conditions whatsoever.

Am I correct in this?

Regards,
Wes
--
Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP                KF2LG
President, Van Pelt Associates, Inc.