Re: Food Irradiation propaganda help

     I believe Drew Thatcher has the final version of our co-authored op-ed
     piece that was in the Seattle P-I, which might help.  Otherwise, I can
     fax you a copy of what they printed.

     The strongest argument FOR irradiation, it seems to me, is that it is
     a cheap way to prolong shelf life greatly, and a way that does not
     alter the food chemically nearly as significantly as freezing,
     freeze-drying, and canning (all ways of prolonging shelf life) and
     does not require special storage procedures like refrigeration.  In
     fact, chemical alteration by irradiation is essentially undetectable.

     Salmonella in chicken can enter at many points in processing.  All
     cookbooks now warn you to wash any surfaces that you have handled
     poultry on with detergent before using those surfaces for other food
     preparation.  Besides, I am not sure what is meant by "raising
     chickens under unsanitary conditions."  Anyone who has worked on a
     farm knows that there is a certain inherent unsanitariness in farm
     work.  I remember all too well when the hippies fussed about milk
     pasteurization.

     I cannot see any argument against food irradiation as long as there is
     adequate worker protection.  The sources exist.  There is no effect on
     the food.

     I also think the myths like "the food is radioactive after
     irradiation" cannot be debunked too often.

     Clearly my own opinion.

     Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
     Transportation Systems Department
     Sandia National Laboratories