RE: ?-Chart of the Nuclides

Quoting from the introductory text at the beginning of the Chart of the
Nuclides, "The fission yields...are total cumulative chain yields (in
percent) of the last isobaric chain member."  In that respect, the
yields in the Chart of the Nuclides are sums of the independent yield of
the fission product and the independent yield of all its precursors.  So
for Cs-137, the yield in the CON is the yield for Cs-137 produced
directly from fission and the yield of other -137 isobars that decay to
Cs-137 (same for Cs-135).  Thus, the yields are calculated based on two
mechanisms: a) fission and b)radioactive decay of a precursor.  Neutron
absorption in the reactor is not taken into consideration in the
derivation of these yields.  HOWEVER, the point that Brian has been
TRYING to make is that in a REAL reactor, the Xe-135 will absorb
neutrons and be removed from the -135 isobaric chain so that in reality,
any isobar downstream of Xe-135 will have a measured yield that may be
much less than the published yield in the Chart of the Nuclides.

Same disclaimers as usual (if I've muddied the waters further, my
apologies).

Philip

Philip C. Fulmer, PhD, CHP
Carolina Power & Light Company