More news on the Russian sub

I have gathered some more information about the Russian sub accident
yesterday evening. Most of this information has gone from Russian via
Norwegian to English, so take it for what it's worth.

The previous report that no radiactivity had leaked was probably wrong. The
correct information was that the Norwegian stationary instrument on the
Russian side of the border did not show anything. At the moment I don't
have the information about how close they are.

The accident happened in Zapadnaja Litsa in the Kola peninsula, home of the
Russian North Fleet. The local TV-station in Murmansk broke the program at
10.30 pm last night to report the accident. The first news were that one
man had been killed in the accident - this was later denied.

Apparently radioactive gas was released at the start-up of the reactor. The
captain is reportedly severely injured. Four sailors also have injuries,
but there is no threat to their lives.

Vice admiral Vjatjeslav Popov of the North Fleet characterized the accident
as "a malfunction of the mechanical system". He further stated that the
official examination of the accident would be ready in 3 days.

 ________