Re: More news on the Russian sub

This is what is out on Reuters (8:15 AM EST) .. I have not found
anything more current on the news wires.

Thursday January 29 8:15 AM EST

Gas Explosion Kills 1 on Russian Nuclear Sub

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The Russian navy said on Thursday one person had
been killed and five injured in a gas explosion on a nuclear submarine
in Russia's far north, but that there was no danger of a radiation
leak.

A spokeswoman said the incident had taken place on Monday "in northern
seas." RIA news agency said it had happened near the Kola peninsula.

"There is no danger of a radiation leak," the spokeswoman said.

RIA said the submarine was docked in a naval base for repairs at the
time of the accident. It said there had been a problem with the oxygen
system and ammonia gas which is used for cooling purposes had escaped
into the air.

The Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority said it had been informed
by Russian authorities that the accident occurred at a base in the
Zapadnaya Litsa fjord, about 100 km (60 miles) from the Norwegia
border.

"As far as we know the situation is under control. Everything
indicates that this was not dramatic," said Erling Stranden at the
Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division