And the beat goes on ....

BONN (Jan 29, 1998 - 10:55 EST) - The German first division faces serious
disruption if plans to transport nuclear waste across the country in March
get the green light.

Police in Dusseldorf say they will be too busy protecting the waste from
demonstrators to have anyone to spare for six matches in the Bundesliga,
which means they would have to be cancelled.

German Football Federation officials are attempting to reach a compromise
with the police to try and prevent the matches being called off.

But Dusseldorf police spokesman Frederick Holtkamp insisted there would be
no compromise.

"We warned the football federation last year. When there is nuclear waste
being  transported we have no police to spare for football. We have
suggested they change the date of the fixtures," said Holtkamp.

Officials plan to move the waste on March 20 and 27.

---------
Bob Flood
Dosimetry Group Leader
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center