Re: Cancer Assessment Press Release

Sandy:
     You surprise me, with the paranoid implication that all health
surveys of nuclear workers are evil.  Others seem to see the clearance
against the cancer registry of all former nuclear workers as having
political rather than health motivation.  In my view as an environmental
epidemiologist, such studies are a way for the management of BNL to carry
out part of its obligation to monitor the healthfulnesss of working conditions.
  Should not this be a positive interest of the Health Physics community ?
Do you prejudge all the results of badge monitoring and make a public issue
of it?
   The defintions of "healthy worker effect" are correct, and its impact
on overall mortality may be substantial.  Cancer mortality is less
affected.  Let us keep information open and flowing, even if we can't
always predict what it says or understand what it means.
               John R. Goldsmith, M.D., M.P.H.
               Professor of Epidemiology, gjohn@BGUMAIL.bgu.ac.il