Re: Book Irradiation

At 10:43 AM 2/3/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I am looking for information on irradiation of books. Colorado State
>University was flooded in 1997 which resulted in a substantial number of
>books becoming damaged. We are in the process of trying several options
>to sterilize the mold on the books. The Radiation Control Office has
>suggested irradiating the books (several pallets 400,000+ books)with a
>dose of approximately 5kGy. But what affect is this going to have on the
>cellulose in the books? Will this dose be detrimental to the books?
>
>Thank you in advance for all responses.
>--
>James C. Graham
>Alternate Radiation Safety Officer
>Colorado State University
>133 General Services Building
>Fort Collins, Colorado 80523-6021
>Phone: (970) 491-3736  Fax: (970) 491-4804

==============================
The Nuclart Laboratory -CEA- is one of the most advanced Institution
involved in disinfecting mildew- parasite- or insect-ridden objects and
reinforcing fragile or damaged pieces with radio-hardened resins.
Restauration of Ancient Sculptures, etc. -- GO TO
http://www-dta.cea.fr/wwwcea/nucleart/uk/restaure.htm

http://www-dta.cea.fr/WWWCEA/nucleart/UK/matsec.htm

Arc-Nuclart - Philippe Coeur, Director - Phone: 04.76.88.59.06. Fax:
               04.76.88.50.89. Internet server: http://www-dta.cea.fr.

J. J. Rozental <josrozen@netmedia.net.il>
Israel