Uranyl Acetate, Salt and California HW regs.

Hi All-

Hopefully my last post on this matter.  I learned some additional material
since my last statements and I thought I should post this for all.

Salt is NOT considered a HW in California.  California Health and Safety
Code 25141.5b2BXVI exempts approximately 2 dozen chemicals commonly found
in consumer commodities from HW/toxicity regulations. Salt (NaCl) is one of
them.

Additionally HSC 25141.5b2A lowers the LD50-oral requirement for toxicity
to 2,500 mg/kg (effective 1/1/97).  Not the 5,000 mg/kg previously reported.

Uranyl acetate with a reported LD50-oral rat of 204 mg/Kg (Sax's Dangerous
Properties of Industrial Materials) would still be considered a HW in
California.  Disposal of this material by Californian's would have to be
through a permitted MIXED waste facility (even if shipped out of California
for disposal).  Drain disposal of this material would not be permitted in
Californian due to its inclusion as a California Hazardous Waste.

Again, all of the above applies only to individuals in California ONLY.

I don't know if this did any good to clarify the matter - or just really
confuse the issue.  Again, any corrections or comments are welcome.

Ken

Ken Smith
Acting Radiation Safety Officer
University of California