Re: : Leak Testing Sealed Sources

At 03:59 AM 2/4/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I am having troubles convincing people here regarding the leak testing of
>sealed sources.  AT our university we have smalled sealed sources of
>alpha and gamma.  The activities range from few microcuries down to
>submicrocuries.  Most of the sources are rarely used.  I need your
>cllective efforts in helping me in pointing out what are the trigger
>levels for leak testing of sealed radioactive sources.
>
>YOUR input is much appreciated. Thanks
>
>Mahmoud Haleem
>KFUPM
>P.O.BOX 1061
>Dhahran, 31261
>Saudi Arabia
>mshaleem@dpc.kfupm.edu.sa

===================================

To help you for a better understanding on Radiation Safety in a University,
and in particular considering  your specific question,  GO TO at the
following information site,  for example:

http://www.orcbs.msu.edu/radiation/radmanual(html)/radman96toc.html

Radiation Safety Manual

The Michigan State University

=====

look at Leak Tests of Sealed Sources

     Each sealed source containing licensed material (other than tritium)
with a half-life greater than thirty days, and in any form other than gas,
shall be periodically tested for leakage. The test shall be capable of
detecting 0.005 uCi. Sources are exempt from testing if they contain <10 uCi
of an alpha emitting material or <100 uCi of a beta or gamma emitting
radionuclide.

     Sources that are being stored and not being used must be tested at
least once every ten years, with the exception of alpha emitting sources.
Alpha emitting sources must be tested every quarter, regardless of use.

     A stored source is one that has not been used for six months, and will
not be used in the coming six months. It must be removed from its functional
position (i.e., electron capture devices removed from gas chromatographs)
and secured. Stored sealed sources must be leak tested before being returned
to service. The broad license requires that sealed beta or gamma emitting
sources be leak tested every six months. Alpha emitting sealed sources must
be leak     tested every three months.

     Principal investigators must have approvals to possess and use sealed
radioactive sources.
     Users must have training, sources must be labeled, and security must be
in place. It is the  principal investigator's responsibility to assure that
the sources are used according to the laws and regulations pertaining to the
source. In particular, the leak tests must be performed by the  required
deadline. If non compliances are found with sealed sources, sanctions may be
imposed.

J. J. Rozental <josrozen@netmedia.net.il>
Israel