media relations

Some weeks ago, our Fearless Leader asked us to share with the group media
relations success stories.  I have two of these that I hope will be of
interest to the group.

The first deals with our city newspaper, the Columbus Dispatch.  Over the
past few years I have made a practice of contacting the environmental and
science writers periodically.  I always call them shortly after they're
assigned that beat, just to introduce myself and to let them know that I'm
willing to address any questions they may have about radiation or
radioactivity.  I also point out that Ohio has a number of contaminated
sites, two nuclear power plants, and a number of radioactively contaminated
sites, all of which have "anti" groups in their vicinity.  Knowing that
these groups are not renowned for impartiality, I tell the writers that I
am also willing to give them another viewpoint on any stories that may
otherwise be heavily weighted towards one camp.  Finally, I let them know
that they are welcome to use any of my references they may need in pursuit
in an accurate story.

Following the initial contact, I often send a small information package to
the writers, including some materials I developed myself and others
developed by Audeen Fentiman.  This is followed by periodic contacts, just
to remind them I exist.  If I see or hear of any interesting stories, I try
to let them know about them, giving my interpretation of the subject matter.

This has started to pay off.  In the last few months I have been contacted
by several writers at the paper, all asking for my help in interpreting
some data, reports, or statements.  One of these I referred on to Otto
Raabe, the others I felt comfortable handling myself.  In all cases, the
stories appear to have been responsibly-written.  When possible, I try to
get back to the writers with some feedback as soon as possible after the
story runs.

The other instance involves an Australian author who writes political
thrillers.  His latest novel deals with a nuclear reactor accident in
Indonesia.  After sending him a lot of information and many e-mail
messages, I was happy to receive a copy of his latest book.  I was quite
happy to note many places where my suggestions were directly incorporated
into the novel.  Even though he had to have a reactor melt down in the
book, he did go into quite a bit of detail as to how improbable this event
was and how it was due to bad design (Russian) and construction
(Indonesian) rather than to inherent problems with reactors in general.  My
favorite part was one passage in which an Australian cabinet minister told
the Prime Minister that more people would be hurt running into kangaroos
than from the plume entering Australia.

Some disclaimers:  The local reporters are not usually bent on
sensationalizing and seem genuinely interested in accurate reporting.
Similarly, the author was interested in being accurate, even though I could
sense his disappointment at not having a huge catastrophe.  Others may not
be so lucky.

Good luck with your own media contacts!

Andy

The opinions expressed above are well-reasoned and insightful.  Needless to
say, they are not those of my employer. (with apologies to Michael Feldman)

Andrew Karam, CHP  (karam.1@osu.edu)		(614) 292-1284 (phone)
The Ohio State University 				(614) 292-7002 (fax)
Office of Radiation Safety				"The mind is not a vessel to
1314 Kinnear Road					be filled but a fire to be
Columbus, OH  43212					lighted." (Plutarch)