Re: Decontamination of wood

> Date:          Wed, 4 Feb 1998 11:39:29 -0600 (CST)
> From:          Larry Krisanits <larry@nscsun.tamu.edu>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Decontamination of wood

> Howdy, I have a minor problem with contamination (probably MFP) of a piece
> of framing lumber used in one our lab areas.  Does anyone have any ideas
> as to what might be used to remove this contamination short of disposal,
> or sealing in.
>
> Larry Krisanits
> Senior Health Physicist
> Texas A & M University
> Nuclear Science Center
> larry@nscsun.tamu.edu
> (409)845-7552
>
> Larry,

   I have used the following, but only for relatively small areas:

   1. Wide, sharp wood chisel
   2. Hammer
   3. Shallow shavings
   4. Patience
   5. Contaminated shavings to rad waste

I have also wrapped wooden cabinets in plastic and decayed for 10
half lives(I-125)because of the size and value of the cabinets and to
reduce rad waste.
George Rawls
University of Florida
Health Physicist