accreditation of sources

This is very preliminary (and somewhat late) but....

Several source manufacturers have requested the HPS Lab Accreditation
Committee to create a program for them to implement ANSI N42.22 -
Traceability of Radioactive Sources to NIST.

Preliminary discussions will be held at the mid-year meeting, 9 Feb, 6 pm.
Very preliminary since we have no authorization from the BoD to start the
program.  Interested PARTICIPANTS are encouraged to attend if you happen
to be planning to be there.  Otherwise let me know of your  interest by
direct mail to me and I will keep you posted on developments. Nothing will
be decided until after the meeting this summer (based on current plans).

For those unfamiliar with the accreditation program key elements are...
   documentation to demonstrate compliance with written criteria
   a site audit/inspection
   participation in a measurement quality assurance program
   annual fees ($$$)

This requires a significant effort on the part of the applicant. Programs
under NVLAP are on the order of $5000 annually.  The HPS program is less
expensive.  I mention this to dissuade those with only a casual interest.
However, this program will likely only go forward if there are a
reasonable number of participants, so interested organizations are
encouraged to contact me.

P.S. A reminder - the current accreditation program for radiation
instrument calibration labs is open to applicants.  Contact the HPS
secretatiat for more information.

--
the above are the personal musing of the author,
and do not represent any past, current, or future