Subject: Treatment of RIA waste
Author:  farmerr@ccmail.orst.edu [SMTP:farmerr@ccmail.orst.edu]  at
TOWNE_CENTER
Date:    2/9/98 10:18 AM

     Does anyone know of chemical treatment options for RIA waste
     containing human blood?  The waste will contain uCi levels of 3H
and
     125I.  Autoclaving is not desirable since the RIA lab does not have
an
     autoclave in the same building.  I'm looking for a chemical
treatment
     that will render the waste non-infectious while not driving off
125I.
     Both bleach and acid treatment have that downside.

     Thanks in advance for the help.

     Rainier Farmer
     Radiation Safety Officer
     Oregon State University