Re: Treatment of RIA waste

Since I do not know the specifics of your request, let me offer the
following.  RIA kits are generally licensed by the NRC under 10 CFR
31.11 (see sections (a)(1) and (a)(4) for I-125 and H-3).  They are
exempt from radwaste disposal requirements of 10 CFR 20 per 10 CFR
31.11(f).  Therefore, when required, I simply dispose of them as medical
waste, where the infectious component is destroyed via other mechanisms
(typically incineration).  And since I dispose of the waste in this
fashion, I do not have an answer to your original request regarding
chemical inactivation methods.

If this helps, great.  If not, hopefully it has given others food for
thought.

Sean M. Austin, CHP
seanaustin@hotmail.com

All opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect
the opinions of my employer.