Re: Picorad - radon detectors

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Schoenhofer wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I wonder whether any fellow RADSAFERs use the Picorad-radon detectors
> (charcoal, intended for LSC measurements). I would appreciate to exchange
> experience and especially I would be interested about the costs of these
> vials in other countries, which are manufactured by NITON in the USA.

	-There are several charcoal-liquid scintillation radon detectors
that have been used. We made over 200,000 measurements with our type.
Materials and labor for making them in large quantities cost about 35
cents. A single technician was making the measurements on about 400 in an
8 hour day. There are other administrative, record keeping, quality
control, and measurement equipment costs. We provided measurements in
quantities of 100 for $3.50 each, providing only a list of measured values
vs vial number.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh