RE: Dosimeter Placement

Jim F. Herrold said the following:

> If other areas are more likely to receive exposures and you want to
>  relocate the badge, you must specifically request that type of badge.
> This is what I have been told by Landauer, anyway. Is this how it is
> done by ICN and others? (Sandy?)

Jim is correct in his assumptions. While it is true that the primary
whole body dosimeter, worn on the chest, is also used to provide the
SDE and LDE, this assumes uniform exposure, across the entire whole
body. If this is not the case, use of the single relocated dosimeter
for determining the SDE and LDE may be in error, and could
potentially result in regulatory action.

I have also observed individuals when calculating the Webster Dose
Weighting Calculation, determining a weighted LDE and SDE from the
two independent dosimeters. The Webster holds true ONLY for the EDE
determined from the weighted DDE values. It can not be used for SDE
or LDE. In actuality, the only true dose for the LDE has to come
directly from the collar badge.

As noted, placement of a dosimeter, and, methods for determining the
dose to meet regulatory requirements, as well as good radiation
protection, does require some thought, and planning.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division