Re: Food Irradiation - Consumer Reports

> However, it seems to me that they [CU] have in many instances (ie x-rays,
> food irradiation) gone beyond skepticism to outright hostility toward
> the employment of radiation for purposes where the benefits
> clearly outweigh the risks.

They also share much of the blame for the mircrowave oven scare in the 70s.

> Maybe it's a reflection of the culture from which their staff is
> drawn, but it seems to me that someone from HPS, perhaps more specifically
> from the Greater New York Chapter, might creatively have a friendly chat
> with them.

It would help if that person was also a CU member.

The same thought applies to a joint letter, which might have more impact if
the signers were both radiation safety professionals and CU members.

John Moulder (jmoulder@its.mcw.edu)