Re: Cohen's ecologic studies

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, R. William Field wrote:

> Dr. Cohen,
>
> Do you think your ecologic studies have the power to assess the lung cancer
> risk/benefit posed by residential radon exposure?
>
> Bill Field

My study is a test of the linear-no threshold theory (LNT) of radiation
induced cancer. It shows that LNT fails very badly in the low dose region
((below 6 pCi/L), grossly over-estimating the cancer risk in that region.
It does not determine the risk vs dose to individuals beyond the above
statement. Interpreting our data directly as risk vs dose suffers from
"the ecological fallacy", but the above-stated conclusion does not.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260