Re: Background radiation and cancer -Reply

Otto Rabbe wrote:

>This kind of "estimate" is the result of using the ICRP linear model and
>risk factor for the public of 0.05 cancers per Sv. But these estimates
>are
>wrong because radiation dose response for cancer is unlikely to be
>linear down to background levels.

Otto:

Correct me if I'm wrong, and/or I'm misinterpreting the point, but isn't the
0.05 factor estimated specifically for low doses (such as the typical
American's 360 mrem/year). A DDREF of two has been used by the ICRP
precisely because the risk is not assumed to be linear down from the
high doses where the risk is estimated at 0.1 cancer deaths per Sv.
Doesn't the 0.05 factor assume linearity at low doses but not linearity
from high doses - two different things?

Paul Frame
Professional Training Programs
ORISE