Re: check sources

Sandy Perle wrote:

> > How would you implement this in a facility that covers many acres, ten to
> > twelve buildings, and 200 to 250 labs - each under a different authorized
> > user?
>
> I don't know who Paul Lavely is asking this question.. the original
> question from Mark, or from me, based on my response. If the question
> is being directed to me, I'll just state what my  opinion:
>
> 1. I said that a single check source is viable IF used in the same
> facility. If we're going to quibble over what the term facility
> means,,, so be it. However, I was addressing a facility that had the
> instruments basically located in a single, close and concise area.
>
> 2. If the facility is spread out, as in Paul's scenario, then
> multiple check sources would be needed. Nobody, including myself, was
> inferring that a single check source should be used for a facility
> that covers acres, and many buildings.
>
> 3. I don't believe how many authorized users is an issue. The purpose
> of a check source, or multiple check sources, is to check the
> operability of the instrumnent.
>
> 4. If you have the money, put a check source on each unit, give each
> user his or her own instrument, and if you have even more $$$ to
> spend, why not give each user his own building.  I really don't care!

Sorry, folks but this is hilarious, ha ha ha aha huh.

But, checking an instrument to just see if the needle or readout responds
without noting (logging) the specific response is about as useful as not
checking the instrument.  I have instruments that are cannot measure measure 3
mrem (+ / - 100 mrem) and the needle responds to a check source.

High Plains Drifter, CHP, NRC, IBA
magna1@jps.net
hdc@nrc.gov

Disclaimer: My opinions and thoughts expressed above are just that!  They are
mine and mine alone, and should not be taken
as a reflection of the views of the US NRC, US Government, or some other
supervisory power.  Some opinions are based on
previously established physical constants, teachings, or information catalogued
at gatherings of nuclear priests spewing their
atomic mummeries.

 Hail to Hari Seldon and long live the Foundation.

P.S.  Roy, I am the original, ask Hari!!!