Re: Case-Control Radon Studies in the U.S.

R. William Field wrote:

> We are currently performing a case-control study in Iowa examining the
> relationship between residential radon exposure and lung cancer.  The study
> is funded by the National Institutes of Environmental Health Sciences.
> The methodology for the study is published in the Journal of Exposure
> Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology 6(2) 181-195, 1996.

I trust that the residential radon exposure will be expressed in rem,
rad or some other real dose quantity for each person in the study.
Simply using pCi/liter data won't work becuse, without additional
information about the variation of the concentration with time and the
actual time a person is exposed to the varying concentrations, there is
no way to use concentration data in a meaningful way.  It is the dose
that counts, not the concentration.  Also, I trust that all of the data
will be published on how each calculated dose was arrived at so we can
see that the methodology was followed.

Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net