Re: Alpha-Fluorine Neutron Reaction

Peter Darnell wrote:

>      Does anyone have information (flux rates, expected neutron energies,
>      etc.) regarding the alpha - fluorine neutron reaction from uranium
>      tetrafluoride?  I am looking for a reference and some good field
>      experience.  Please respond to me directly.

Much of the information that you are looking for can be found in:

Boneh, Y., et al, "Neutron Yields from Uranium-Fluorine Compounds",
Nuclear Science and Engineering, vol 86, pp 106-115, (1984).

Let me know if you have trouble locating this and other cited articles.
I'll be happy to fax them to you.

Please note that the U-234 content strongly affects the neutron
production rate in UF4.  Usually only the U-235 isotopic content
is mentioned in reference to enrichment.  You may wish to use a
mass spec for more accurate isotopic analysis.  As a rough rule
of thumb, the amount of U-234 is about 1% of the U-235.

Other articles of interest include:

Sampson, T.E., "Neutron Yields from Uranium Isotopes in
Uranium Hexafluoride", Nuclear Science and Engineering,
vol 54, pp. 470 - 474, (1974).

Wilson, W.B., et al, "Neutron Production in UF6 from the
Decay of Uranium Nuclides", Trans. Amer. Nucl. Soc.,
vol 38, pp 176 - 178, (1981).

Rob Tayloe <nukemoto@earthlink.net>
Columbus, OH