Re: Gould reviewer

Gould's books, I would provide some advice; I wrote a 500-word letter  titled
"The Pathology of Deadly Deceit" published in the HP Journal (April 1992)
reviewing one of Gould's earlier exercises in data fabrication.   The letter
was a condensation of a fairly substantial analysis of only two chapters of
Deadly Deceit, dealing with supposed accidents at Savannah River Plant in 1960
and their consequences, which took several weeks to research and prepare,
primarily because of the need to go back to the original data on "fallout"
monitoring and vital statistics to identify the data manipulations used to
distort the results as presented in the book.

Your reviewer needs to be prepared to invest the time need to ferret out and
report on these kinds of hocus-pocus.

With your listing of "least-admired authors" (or fear-mongers),  I guess
you're not old enough to remember Gofman and Tamplin, or Ernie Sternglass,
among others.  Actually, Ernie was Jay Gould's mentor and inspiration (see the
foreword to Deadly Deceit).

Mort Goldman, Sc.D.
Retired Troublemaker
N. Bethesda, MD