BNL Marks First Day Under New Contractor

>Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 10:57:00 -0500
>Sender: owner-brea-l@bnl.gov
>From: Kara Villamil <karav@bnl.gov>
>To: karav@bnl.gov
>Subject: BNL Marks First Day Under New Contractor
>
>The following news release is being issued today by Brookhaven National
Laboratory. For more information, please reply to this e-mail or call
516-344-2345.

>#98-17
>Released March 2, 1998
>

>BROOKHAVEN NATIONAL LABORATORY MARKS
>FIRST DAY UNDER NEW CONTRACTOR
>Brookhaven Science Associates & Director John Marburger Take the Helm
>
>UPTON, NY -  The U.S. Department of Energy's Brookhaven National
Laboratory began a new era today when Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA)
started its first work day as the contractor for the Laboratory's operation.
>	New BNL director John Marburger marked the occasion by meeting with many
of Brookhaven's 3,000 employees at stops on a Labwide van tour.  He was
accompanied by his Deputy Director for Science and Technology, Peter Paul,
and his Deputy Director for Operations, Thomas Sheridan.
>	"This is a day for hope and for optimism," Marburger said.  "Today, we
look forward to the task of integrating Brookhaven's world-class science
with a respect for the environment and involvement by our local community."
>	Said U.S. Secretary of Energy Federico Peņa, "Together, the Department,
Dr. Marburger, and the BSA team will continue our efforts to rebuild trust
and confidence with the Brookhaven community. Our goal is clear - to do
world-class science, while ensuring public health, employee safety and the
protection of the environment."
>	BSA succeeds Associated Universities, Inc., which had operated BNL since
its founding in 1947.  Secretary Peņa announced the termination of AUI's
contract in May 1997, citing AUI's lack of attention to environment, safety
and health as well as lack of trust with the community.  That decision set
in motion a bidding process that ended in November with the announcement
that BSA would be awarded the new contract.
>	The new contract for the Laboratory's management and operation was signed
on January 5, starting a transition period that allowed BSA to prepare for
its role as contractor.
>	"In the past two months," Marburger said, "we have learned what a
magnificent
>institution BNL is, and set our sights on ways to make it even better.  I
and my deputies thank the entire Laboratory staff and the transition team
for their hard work, and AUI for their gracious help during this transition."
>	BSA is a nonprofit research management corporation founded jointly by the
Research Foundation of the State University of New York on behalf of the
State University of New York at Stony Brook, and Battelle Memorial Institute.
>	BSA's sixteen-member board of directors is headed by Shirley Strum Kenny,
President of SUNY Stony Brook, with Battelle Chief Executive Officer
Douglas Olesen serving as vice chair.  The board includes members from
Battelle, Stony Brook, and six participating universities: Columbia,
Cornell, Harvard, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Princeton and Yale.
>	BSA's primary objectives at BNL are to:
>* Maintain and further enhance the quality and productivity of BNL's
scientific research and the value of its user facilities to the scientific
community.
>* Operate BNL's facilities in full compliance with all environment, safety
and health requirements; protect the environment and the safety and health
of staff, visitors, and the public; and successfully complete the
environmental restoration program that is now under way through the federal
Superfund program.