Re[2]: Radiation to the breast is hormetic at 0.15 Gy

     _lcbaird2@worldnet.att.net:

     >Since hormesis is on the table again, I might mention the phenomenon
     >of thermal hormesis. About 15 years ago one of my sons brought home
     >the dreaded announcement that he needed a science fair project for
     >his school. I suggested that he dip wheat seeds in boiling water for
     >various amounts of time & measure the effect on viability. As
     >expected, he found that boiling wheat seeds for 20-30 minutes makes
     >great oatmeal (wheatmeal?), but totally destroys viability. As the
     >boiling time was reduced, palatability went down accordingly and some
     >seeds were able to germinate. But, surprisingly, viability peaked at
     >about 1(?) minute of boiling, not 0 minutes of boiling. There you
     >have it, thermal hormesis!
     >
     >L.C.Baird, Ph.D.
     >ACURAD SYSTEMS, INC.
     >BRANDON, FL
     >lcbaird2@worldnet.att.net

Or increased water penetration, offsetting a slight negative thermal effect.

For his NEXT project, I suggest you follow up on this confounding factor with
DRY heat vs. WET boil, to isolate the thermal and water uptake factors.

Dave Neil
neildm@inel.gov